Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Contest

A month or so ago my youngest daughter, Lane, found this great website (threadless.com) full of wonderfully designed T-shirts. Then she found out that there is a contest (threadcakes.com) where you choose a T-shirt design and make a cake that is inspired by it....kind of zany I know...and kind of a big undertaking! But, Lane is like her father in that way - they get an idea and nothing can stop them!  I on the other hand am often getting ideas and then immediately convincing myself that it would be entirely too much work!

Not Lane...she was determined...so step by step she created her masterpiece.
First of all she choose her T-shirt design...and made a sketch of how she might do things...

there was, of course, baking to be done...

and around here we sometimes use a box of cake!  This was perfect because there was just so much for Lane to do...


after baking the cakes Lane had to trim them and cut pieces out...

there was filling involved...
a strawberry jam crumb coat and some butter cream frosting...


...meanwhile a special homemade fondant was prepared...

rice crispy treats were made and cut into the proper shapes for the 'little guys'...

a lovely ganache was made a poured over the top of the cake...

fondant was coloured and rolled out - and soon became tiny creatures...

such cuties!
Lane made arms and legs out of modeling chocolate...

a little bit of assembly was required and...
Voila!!!!!!! A beautiful finished product.

Now I think you can understand what I meant when I said there was a lot involved in this process.  It goes without saying - but I am going to say it! - I am so proud of my girlie!  Lane showed so many wonderful qualities by setting this goal for herself, figuring out how to go about it, and completing the job!  Bravo Lane!  You can go here to see her entry and here to see the winners of the competition.

I am truly in awe when I look at what Lane accomplished...bravery, confidence, ingenuity, creativity, perseverance...just a few of the qualities I admire in you my girlie!

While I am going on and on about my girlie - I need to give some kudos to her big sister, Madison, who was by her sister's side for the duration.  Madison was there for moral support and took all the photos that Lane needed to enter the competition.

So go and check out all the crazy T-shirts and cakes and see which one is your favorite.  Or maybe even pick the T-shirt you will make a cake for!!!

xoxo       Elizabeth









No comments:

Post a Comment