Monday, October 1, 2012

The Quarry....

This last weekend we headed to the coast to see my sis and her hubby (and it worked out nicely cause I am sick of this heat!)...Saturday we had quite a treat!  We got to picnic at the quarry where my sister's hubby, Dennis, works.  They have been picnicking and camping there for years and now I can see why. (To be perfectly honest I have been there before...once maybe twenty or so years ago!)
First of all you are up in the redwoods...amazing right there...
then snuggled in amongst the redwoods are all of these other gorgeous trees...
 making the most beautiful canopy to spend your day under!
Add some bits of blue here and there  - spectacular!

But that isn't all...
the pickup was backed right up to...the river!
I am a huge fan of rivers...and right now - especially shady ones!

Can you see the silly face on that rock almost in the middle!?

Smooth rocks, running water...and....

crawdads!!!!!!  That brought Jenny and I right back to our youth when we used to go to the far ends of Lake Anderson and catch crawdads for dinner!  With a hot dog on a string!

We stacked rocks...

See the sun patterns on the rocks?

We I looked at rocks...
We I was mesmerized by the leaves floating on the river...


and we I found the most special little leaf....I really feel this leaf needs a children's story written about it...but that's another post!


Moss, needles, spider webs...it's all good.
The girlie that always has the camera sat down for a bit and I was able to get some pics of her for a change...


cause mostly she was dragging Lane around to snap her pic!

After lunching and lounging we hopped back in the pickup and went on a little excursion...
I was feeling adventurous and climbed in the back with my sis!


See all the bees hovering!

We found some bee hives!  I have always loved these wonderful bee housing boxes... and the honey that comes from them... and the people who go after that honey!!!  I have tasted the honey from these bee boxes and it is scrumptious - a big thank you to the bee keeper!

Now came the real treat of the day - the quarry is really quite an amazing place...


and it has one thing that most work places don't have ....
a swimming hole!!!!!!!!
 Just look at the colour of that water...fresh spring water...

The water is trickling in here- Fun fact it took about a week to fill the swimming hole.



......just incredible.
We didn't have suits...but couldn't resist putting our feet in that water...



Ok...the feet just weren't enough!!!!!!!!!!  What a fabulous feeling dipping into that colourful, cool water out in the midst of all that gorgeous nature!  Heavenly!
Sorry for the dog butts...but I think this is so funny...what are they looking at!?


It was a lovely carefree day and I enjoyed every minute of it!  Thanks Jen and Den...
Love you Bunches!



xoxo         Elizabeth


1 comment:

  1. Hey Lizzie,

    Just looking at these great pics.
    What a wonderful place and day!

    Love you Buddy,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete