Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nutcracker Crafts

Nutcracker time is swiftly approaching...and much crafting is going on!

Here is a little something that I put together for some headpieces...

I used these in combination with some silk flowers to make headpieces for our Spanish Chocolate dancers (they have red velour/velvet dresses with black accents and scarves and  this orangey/red should be a great accent!) - but I think they would be cute alone to pin on a scarf or hat or even your purse or jacket collar.

To make them yourself gather two types of fabric - I used a shear one and a shiny one with sparkles.

I noticed that you can't see the sparklies in these pics, but they are there!

 First I cut the fabric into strips about 3" wide...




and then I cut squiggly circles from the strips.  (Well, they kind of look like squiggly squares don't they?)

I used six circles of each fabric for each flower.

I folded each circle in half....


 and in half again - so that a sort of triangle is created...


now you just string them all onto a needle and thread alternating the fabrics.

Scrunch them all close together and you are going to secure them by taking your needle back through the first one that you put on.

Pull your thread tight and turn your flower over and adjust the petals by pulling them here and there so they make a pretty arrangement...

Now flip the flower back over and secure with a few knots...

Can you see my pumpkin seed snack back there?  Madison made the best pumpkins seeds this year - and she doesn't even like them!
I like to put a little Fray Check on my knots to make sure they stay secure...and I also flipped the flower back over and put Fray Check along the edges of the petals to keep them from - guess what? - fraying!

You could make a big pile of these and put them back to back on a garland...

Or to make a pin or hair clip put a little piece of felt on the back and secure you pin, bobby pin, or clip to that.

How ever you use them - they are simple to do and the colour combinations and fabric variations are endless.

So - go and make some fluffy flowers and then show me what yours look like!

With Nutcracker tunes in my head....

xoxo     Elizabeth




No comments:

Post a Comment