Friday, February 18, 2011

The Ballet Meatloaf

We have a long-standing tradition that revolves around what we eat when there is a ballet performance approaching.
Performance weeks are full of long hours and lots of rushing around...

After a couple tries with 'fast food' (which I have nothing against) I decided that I wanted something else for the girlies during those busy weeks.  And the Ballet Meatloaf was born.  It is easy to make, can be prepared ahead, and can be served hot or cold and be equally delicious.  Thanks to Colleen it has it's special name...we were describing what we do to her one day and she said...oh, the Ballet Meatloaf...and history was made!

To make your own Ballet Meatloaf...or Soccer Meatloaf, or Gymnastics Meatloaf...you will need:

(This recipe made three...which can all be cooked at once or cook one and put the others in the freezer or cook them all and put some in the freezer or well... you get the idea)

  • 4 # hamburger meat
  • 1 yellow onion diced (med. to lg.)
  • 3 slices whole wheat bread (or any bread you have or want)
  • 3 eggs
  • Catsup
  •  Salt and Pepper
So throw your hamburger meat into a large bowl, tear up the bread and toss it in...add the eggs, onion, salt and pepper, and squeeze a bunch of catsup in there too - maybe 1/2 a cup or so.  Mix it all up really well and you are ready to go.

I usually use my hands - it seems to be the easiest way to get it all mixed together.  Then I wash them really well about 6 times because truth be told raw hamburger meat grosses me out!

Grease some baking dishes and put equal amounts into each one...now for the part my mom taught me - the part that makes it really yummy...
More catsup!  Squirt a good amount on the top of each meatloaf...it really makes them taste great.  I think that originally my mom used to put Chili Sauce on them.  It comes in a sort of roundish jar and should be in with the condiments at the market.

Stick them in a 350 degree oven for at least an hour and Voila!  Ballet Meatloaf!

This last performance while the Ballet Meatloaf was cooking I did a little Valentine project for my girlies. Which come to think of it goes right along with the ballet performance theme I have going on here.  Being a ballerina there are certain aches and pains that are unavoidable...and sometimes you need a little something to make you feel better....(of course chocolate works well also!)  I made each of my girlies a little bundle that they can put in the microwave and heat up if they want to apply heat to various body parts.

I got out some of my felt and made four rectangles (remember I am making two) about 5" by 20"

Next I found some decorative fabric I thought my girlies would like and cut some pieces to sew onto the front of the bundles

I love this batik fabric!

and some cute, funny monsters!  I sewed these to the right side of two of the rectangles of felt.  Taking one rectangle with a decorative fabric and one without I pinned them together and sewed around three sides (leaving one of the small sides open for adding rice)

I filled each bundle about 2/3 of the way with rice...adding in a tea bag for a little fragrance when they are heated up.  This used not quite 5 # of rice - and just my luck rice was on sale at the market!

Here are the finished Ballet Bundles...ready to pop into the microwave for a tiny bit and be cuddled around a sore neck, knee, ankle - what ever needs a little TLC.
So with the project finished and the meatloaf cooked to perfection...

We moved right on to enjoying our Ballet Meatloaf!  When it comes out of the oven there is liquid in the baking dish...this can be left or poured out - I have done both and the flavor is good either way.

Well, the next time you have a ballet performance, a soccer match, or maybe you just don't want to have to think about cooking...try the Ballet Meatloaf.  I think you'll like it!

xoxo     Elizabeth







No comments:

Post a Comment