Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Finale

The finale to our Tomodachi Gakko week is always Obon.




Everyone meets in what feels like the middle of an orchard and the evening begins with Taiko drumming.



If you haven't heard Taiko before - it is quite an experience.  You can feel the drums in the center of your body...the drummers dance and sing out as they play.  The drums themselves are a thing of beauty and it is amazing the different sounds that they can bring forth.

One of my favorite things about this evening are the lanterns...when we arrive it is still light and they hang waiting for the sun to drop...








As the sun sets the lanterns turn from globes of colour to orbs of light...







Glowing stronger and stronger as the night sets in...




I may have gone a little over-board with the lantern pics ( I pared them down here...) but,
I love them!!!!!!!!

Now, those kimonos....


As a person who sews I am attracted to all of the beautiful fabrics...


 

and the details....breathtaking...







Each with it's own special touches.

One year Madison wore a kimono and I was smitten...couldn't stop looking at her...
...unfortunately she is not fond of the few photos that we got so I will not be sharing that memory with you...you'll have to use your imagination.






I love this picture because it shows all of the various items used in the dancing...she has a scarf, a fan, her Kachi Kachi - or as we say 'the clickers' .....she is ready for any dance that comes along.



Everyone at Obon is warm and welcoming - encouraging us to join in and dance.  A large oval is formed and we follow the beautiful kimonos round and round trying our best to remember the steps...if truth be told Madison and Lane do fine - I am the one bumbling along, but I don't let it stop me -  I don't want to miss out!

And so another Gakko year comes to an end...one of those happy/sad times that we all know about...
...til next year then....Kon-nichiwa



xoxo    Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I missed it. Dennis' coworker does taiko drumming. JS

    ReplyDelete